-->
CANUCKS HOCKEY BLOG

Thursday, September 29, 2005

Quick Hit on Head Hits

September 23rd, Canucks vs. Edmonton (from Canucks.com):

Sven Butenschon had to be helped off the ice in the third after 6-foot-5 Oiler giant Brad Winchester caught the Canuck hopeful with his head down behind the Vancouver net late in the third.
September 25th, Kings vs. Coyotes (from TSN.ca):

Roenick was injured after carrying the puck up ice along the right boards up ice and taking a hard but clean shoulder check from Phoenix defenceman Denis Gauthier at the red-line.
September 30th, Canucks vs. Flames (from Canucks.com):

Ruutu caught 5-foot-10, 200-pound Byron Ritchie square with a clean shoulder. Unfortunately, Ritchie was out before he hit the ice and had to be helped to the bench.
Different situations on the ice, all resulting in the same - a "legal" hit to the head and a player being helped off the ice. Inadvertent or not, can someone explain why these hits are considered legal in the NHL?

posted by J.J. Guerrero, 5:44 PM

1 Comments:

At September 29, 2005 6:23 PM, Blogger J.J. Guerrero said...

Really, the only way to avoid the occasional head injuries from bodycheck is to outlaw the head on bodycheck.

You hit it right there and I suppose that's where I'm somewhat headed here. (Pardon the pun.) A player can still bodycheck but anything above the shoulders are off-limits.

I realize how fast the game is. Trust me I've had plenty of guys skate and score around me. But I think the speed of the game makes it more imperative that players become more responsible about what happens on the ice - a guy going full speed can cause more injury during a hit than a turtle like me. I'm not saying take out the hitting - far from it actually - I'm simply offering that players should be more responsible or more aware of their opponents.

In a way I compare this to how a player is responsible for his stick. An opponent in a vulnerable position doesn't justify a stick in the eye. Same concept.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home