-->
CANUCKS HOCKEY BLOG

Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Canucks 1 Flames 2

Home continues to be not so sweet for the Vancouver Canucks, who lost their fifth game in a row at GM Place. Last night's 2-1 loss to the Calgary Flames knocked the Canucks all the way down to seventh place in the Western Conference.

Game Recaps: canucks.com . Vancouver Sun . ESPN
Statistics: Score Sheet . Stat Sheet
My notes from the game:
  • Last night's game was a more typical Calgary Flames game than Friday night's - very tight-checking and physical. Full credit to the Flames. They didn't give the Canucks a lot of room to operate and even when they did, they were all over them like Tom on Katie.
  • That said, it seems like the referees decided to relax on the whole obstruction thing last night and let both teams get away with a few hooks, holds and late hits.
  • I'd be upset too if I was Finnish and their goaltender, who happens to be the best in the world right now, is skipping the Olympics. Mikka Kiprusoff is playing unbelievable hockey right now. His best saves from last night were on breakaways by Todd Bertuzzi and Ryan Kesler.
  • Robyn Regehr's game-winner, while scored on a very good shot, was probably stoppable. Hard to fault Auld for the loss, however, as he kept the Canucks in the game despite his team being out-chanced.
  • By scoring the lone Canucks goal last night, the Sedin line extended their point streak to eleven games.
  • Kevin Bieksa played a lot better tonight than he did in his two previous games. Indicative of this was not just his 10:21 minutes of ice-time (in all situations), but that he played a regular shift and logged some of those minutes late in the game.
  • On the flip side, I don't remember seeing Steve McCarthy on the ice towards the end of the game.
Next up: Nashville on Wednesday.
posted by J.J. Guerrero, 2:27 PM

2 Comments:

At December 27, 2005 11:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, I really like this blog you have going here. Great Canucks coverage. I actually have a blog of my own and I include lots of Canuck coverage, I write game recaps and other news. I was at the game last night, it was my first Canucks game ever attending! I have been a fan for a while, but that was my first game, dad got free tickets for great seats. I wished they could have snapped their losing streak, but I was just really glad to be at the game! Anyways, if you want to check out my blog, I'd appreciate that. Keep up the one you have going here, I love it.

 
At December 28, 2005 6:56 AM, Blogger J.J. Guerrero said...

Hi Alyssa, thanks for swinging by! I'll pass by your blog for sure. :)

That Boxing Day game wasn't a bad first game at all - it was a thoroughly entertaining game except for the final score. Hopefully, they'll snap out of their losing streak tonight.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home