-->
CANUCKS HOCKEY BLOG

Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Your Favorite Canucks Memory

In his latest post, Plummer, one of the Canucks "official" bloggers, talks about the latest Canucks slogan - "We Are All Canucks" - and reminisces about his favorite Canucks memory.


Undoubtedly, I have many favorite Canucks memories - the 1994 Stanley Cup run, of course, which happened only a couple of seasons after I started following the team; Jovo pointing to the heavens after scoring a goal and dedicating it to his deceased daughter (see picture above); the Druken goal against LA; Gelinas', Pavel's, and Daniel's four-goal games; Trevor's shorthanded goal in game 7 against St. Louis; Nazzy's deke on Cujo; Bert's hits on Jackman, Chelios and Phaneuf; and many, many more.

But one memory that sticks out for the pure euphoria it brought that moment was Matt Cooke's goal in game 7 against the Calgary Flames. Down by a goal with only two minutes left in the game, the Canucks went on a powerplay. Jovanovski's penalty took them off shortly after, but with 30 seconds to go, Naslund took the puck from center ice, skated down the left-wing and drove the puck in front of Mikka Kiprusoff. Matt Cooke, driving to the net after Naslund, then tapped in the puck. Tied game with 5.7 seconds left in game 7.

What sticks out is more than the importance of that goal - the Canucks, of course, unfortunately lost in OT anyway - it was the reaction of everyone around me at GM Place when he scored. Everyone was screaming, jumping up and down and high-fiving each other. Strangers were hugging strangers sitting in front of them and behind them. Some were crying tears of joy at the goal. There was a spontaneous and collective burst of ecstacy that, as we watch clips of it after (Cooke's goal at the 3:30 mark of the clip), was shared by everyone in the stadium, including players, coaches and management team.

It was unbelievable feeling and I'll never forget it.

What's your favorite Canucks memory?

______________
Comments/Questions: Feel free to post in the comments section or email me at gocanucksgo10 (at) hotmail (dot) com.

Technorati Tags: , , ,
posted by J.J. Guerrero, 6:25 AM

10 Comments:

At September 26, 2006 8:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My favorite memory has to be watching Pavel Bure score a breakaway goal against the Flames in OT in 1994... It was a terrific way to end a terrific series, and to begin their run to the SCF.

 
At September 26, 2006 11:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

McLean's soccer kick save in OT, and Bure's goal in double OT...while I sat in the stands watching live in Calgary.

 
At September 26, 2006 11:40 AM, Blogger faux rumors said...

Our favourite memory was watching the Canucks getting their asses kicked in 4 strait by the Isles. We're probably a minority in that view. ; )

 
At September 26, 2006 11:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember clearly the Calgary game. At the moment Naslund brought the puck up the ice, Cooke scored and Jovo was jumping in the penalty box, I thought it was the best day ever.

Turned out to be the worst. Not only did they lose the game quickly in overtime, I turned thirty that day as well.

I couldn't sleep that night, and couldn't even bring myself to enjoy the rest of the playoffs. I've hated Calgary even more since then, and when everyone jumped on the Edmonton bandwagon this year, it reminded of of the spring of 2004 and hated Edmonton out of spite.

 
At September 26, 2006 12:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think watching some of our boys play in the SLC Olympics was a huge point of pride for us. I was so thrilled to see them on the world stage.

It was a little different this past O's...

 
At September 26, 2006 3:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

the day keenan got fired

 
At September 26, 2006 5:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cooke's goal for me also, the playoff series against the flames was my induction into hockey fandom, I don't think I'd ever seen a live game before I went to live in Van for a year (being from the UK). I arrived just in time for the start of the series and where I was living everyone was wrapped up in it so I watched also, and after getting the hang of following the puck in the second game I was hooked.

I'll always remember hearing the whole of downtown kicking off out of the window like it was a huge stadium each time the Canucks scored, and a much quieter and more localised sound when Calgary scored, obviously from some traitor bar.

Then the parades of people cruising up Granville with flags out of the back of their cars hollering to everyone on the street, complete strangers shouting "Go Canucks!" to everyone they walked past on the pavement, I've never really experienced anything like it before or since.

 
At September 26, 2006 5:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think this link says it all.. :p

Ruutu v. Phaneuf

 
At September 26, 2006 7:33 PM, Blogger J.J. Guerrero said...

cunning and shabadoo - That goal was something else, eh? Wanna hear something funny? I missed it. I was grabbing a beer from the fridge when he scored.

fauxrumors - You're right. You're probably in the minority on that one. :p

chief - I was at the game so I didn't see Jovo's reaction until afterwards. We'll miss his emotion (and ill-timed penalties).

meg - Winning gold in 2002 ranks up there. I think I teared up while singing the 'O Canada'.

grey wall - haha! Might want to skip the part on the podcast where I actually admit to thinking Keenan's a nice guy (off the ice).

sternip - Hey, good to see you're still following the team! You picked the right Canadian team to do so. :)

nick - Ahhh Ruutu. Geez, I remember that clip. I burst out a gut laughing. Good stuff!

 
At September 27, 2006 12:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Loved those mentioned above (minus '82), but my two big moments are:

- Gus Adams beating Potvin like a rented mule and sending the boys to the Cup in '94.

- Though it ended up being in a losing effort, Linden's second goal in Game 7 against the Rangers. It wasn't so much the goal than the look on his face. Rather than celebrating, he immediately looked up at the clock to see how much time was left. He was so focused and fired up to win the Cup. I miss that Trevor.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home