-->
CANUCKS HOCKEY BLOG

Monday, January 29, 2007

Sharks 1 Canucks 3

Tell me if this sounds familiar yet. Roberto Luongo stood on his head last night, made 38 saves, and gave the Vancouver Canucks a chance to steal a 3-1 win over the San Jose Sharks.

Quite simply, if it weren't for Luongo, I don't think the Canucks come out of this weekend with any points at all. They were outhustled by a more determined Kings team on Friday and outplayed by a more talented Sharks team last night.

The losses of Ryan Kesler and Willie Mitchell are beginning to show. Without Kesler in the lineup, the Canucks lose a combination of speed and grit from the lineup; without Mitchell, the team is forced to ice a third defensive - if you can call it that - pairing of Fitzpatrick and Tremblay.

In both games this weekend, the Canucks allowed more than 20 shots in a single period and allowed the first goal in the game. Not exactly the stuff that makes three of four points and first place in the Northwest Division possible but we'll take it.

Maybe it's time to stop bashing Keenan and start thanking him for his gift to us named Louie.

More from the Mainstream

About the game around the blogosphere

My 3 Stars of the Game

  1. Roberto Luongo (VAN): 38 saves, a LOT of them the awesome kind.
  2. Joe Thornton (SJ): All-Star center was tough to knock off the puck.
  3. Taylor Pyatt (VAN): It wasn't the goal and one assist that I liked. It was that he used his big frame and quick shot effectively to get them.

Official Statistics

Next Game

Tomorrow night against the streaking Columbus Blue Jackets.

______________
Comments/Questions: Feel free to post in the comments section or email me at gocanucksgo10 (at) hotmail (dot) com.

Technorati Tags: , , , ,
posted by J.J. Guerrero, 6:41 AM

5 Comments:

At January 29, 2007 7:21 PM, Blogger Sean Zandberg said...

Sorry, JJ I always bag on your 3 stars!
Was Thornton that good? I was shocked to see him picked at all!
It looks like our days of heckling Luongo for mediocrity are over for now, huh?

 
At January 29, 2007 9:01 PM, Blogger J.J. Guerrero said...

That's okay. We can still bag on Bulis.

I thought Thornton was a monster. He didn't record a single point, but he pretty much controlled the play whenever he was on the ice and had the puck, which was a lot. (Or maybe I just paid special attention to him.)

 
At January 30, 2007 1:27 AM, Blogger Sean Zandberg said...

Maybe Joe was that good. I drank alot of rum that night and fell in love with Luongo :) I kid...
Hey JJ, I tagged you for a little something called "If I were a hockey player"
Check it out and join in!

 
At January 30, 2007 7:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

yep nice choose

Reg
Marv
Go and visit My Photocommunity

 
At January 30, 2007 9:56 AM, Blogger Jeremy said...

At least twice, I saw Thornton out there totally dominating in the Canucks' zone, then noticed the "defensive" pairing you mentioned in the post -- Fitzpatrick and Tremblay. BRUTAL. When any two of Ohlund, Salo, and Bieksa were out there, Thornton didn't look nearly as dangerous.

Great recap, btw. I couldn't believe how bad the 'nucks looked in the first 10 minutes of the game -- I thought it was going to be a total blowout.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home