-->
CANUCKS HOCKEY BLOG

Thursday, November 15, 2007

Quick Word On The Tlusty Thing

Alanah posted about this yesterday and TEAM 1040 and CKNW 980 have both covered it as well, but apparently, nude photos of Toronto Maple Leafs player Jiri Tlusty have surfaced on the Internet.

I'm not going to debate whether or not Tlusty should have trusted his *ahem* friends with pictures of himself hanging out with his wang out. If you were to ask me, I really could care less probably for the same reasons you do. The kid's 19 and he wants to get laid. So what? I do wonder though how this made the front page of the Toronto Sun.

When I was blogging for the Canucks official site last season, one thing they asked for was that I don't talk about a player's personal life. This made sense, of course. I was there to talk about Canucks hockey; I wasn't there to talk about which Canucks player was doing what to whom. Surely, if that standard existed for bloggers, the same standard, at the very least, should be expected of the "real" media.

Last week, before The Crazy Canucks recorded a podcast episode, Alanah and I talked about this article that came out of Detroit (Rebecca posted about it as well):

Bloggers and personal, non-journalistic Web sites are starting to tick me off. Look, I appreciate and respect that in America, everybody has an opinion, especially on sports. And I respect everybody’s right to share their thoughts with anybody who happens to own a computer via blogs.

But people, let’s not confuse what random fans and wanna-be pundits are tossing out there with legitimate reporting. The line is getting way too blurry now between Internet noise and actual journalism. It’s actually getting to the point now where some (too many) of the bloggers are using cyberspace to discredit the legitimate media.

Now I am not saying all legitimate media or every reporter is 100 percent credible. Nor am I saying every blogger is out to discredit legitimate media. But the distinction between the two must be clearer.

Journalism employs trained professionals. We actually have to go to school for this stuff. We take our jobs seriously. There are rules and standards that we are beholden to. There are ethics involved. We actually talk to, in person, the people we write about.
Gee, what kind of professional journalism training did it take to do the Toronto Sun's Tlusty piece?

______________
Comments/Questions: Feel free to post in the comments section or email me at gocanucksgo10 (at) hotmail (dot) com.

Technorati Tags: , , ,

Labels: ,

posted by J.J. Guerrero, 7:25 AM

1 Comments:

At November 15, 2007 4:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

well said :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home