-->
CANUCKS HOCKEY BLOG

Sunday, September 18, 2005

About Me

Though somewhat overdue, I thought I would take the time to introduce myself and let you know a little bit about me.

My name is J.J. I live in Vancouver, B.C., having moved from the Philippines in 1990. Except for my grade 9 and grade 10 years, I attended Catholic schools my entire life. After high school, I went to Douglas College and completed the Commerce and Business Administration program. I currently work in Information Management, specializing in business process analysis, re-engineering and communications.

Coming from a tropical country, I was never exposed to hockey until I moved to Canada. I was a basketball fan and to be honest, didn't even know the difference between lacrosse and hockey. I idolized Dr. J and Michael Jordan, and didn't know much about Trevor Linden or Kirk McLean. In 1991, the Vancouver Canucks started to rise in the NHL standings, and I got swept up in the bandwagon. Though I didn't yet understand most of the rules, I began watching hockey games on TV and even joined a floor hockey league to further immerse myself in the sport. The first two Canucks games I saw live were games 4 and 6 of their first-round playoff series against Calgary in 1994. Especially after being there for Trevor Linden's OT winner in game 6 and following the ensuing run to the Finals, I began to fall in love with the game.

I worked as an event host at GM Place for nine years. But despite that, I owned my own set of tickets for both the Grizzlies and the Canucks. I enjoyed my work immensely, but I enjoyed watching the games from my seats more. Besides, it was easier to appreciate and understand the systems and intricacies of the game when I didn't have to check tickets or throw obnoxiously drunk people out.

I first started writing the blog simply as a way to record my opinions and emotions as they related to the Canucks. But then also came the opportunity to exchange discussions with other bloggers and hockey fans and that is by far the part I enjoy the most. Probably because of my business background, you will notice that a lot of my posts reflect the business side of the sport - I tend to gravitate towards topics involving statistics, salaries and team management - but I write them with both the blind loyalty and fan angst that comes with supporting a team that has never won the Stanley Cup. Hopefully by June of next year I'll be writing my posts with the elation that comes with supporting a team that has won the Stanley Cup for the first time.
posted by J.J. Guerrero, 12:04 AM

3 Comments:

At September 19, 2005 8:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ay, puta, another Pinoy hockey fan? Brah, we're a rare breed :) I'm the Nucks moderator over at offthepost.net. I've been reading your blog - I'm impressed. Drop by OTP sometime and enjoy an e-beer on us. Hope you don't mind if I link to some of your stuff...

 
At September 20, 2005 8:50 PM, Blogger J.J. Guerrero said...

haha! Mabuhay pare!

Actually, there's quite a few hockey fans in Vancity. Most of my friends and family are. I suppose it comes with living in Canada... and not having a basketball team. I'll swing by OTP for sure. And absolutely, feel free to link to my posts. :D

 
At November 30, 2006 6:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great site
» » »

 

Post a Comment

<< Home