-->
CANUCKS HOCKEY BLOG

Monday, October 17, 2005

Havlat Goes Out Kicking


Literally. The NHL suspended Ottawa Senators forward Martin Havlat for five games for kicking Boston Bruins defenseman Hal Gill during last Saturday night's game.

I was pushed on the net, I was falling down... I didn’t want to hurt the guy, but it was just an automatic reaction.
I don't doubt it was automatic - after all, Havlat has previously been suspended for the same infraction - but it's also reckless. The skate blade is dangerously sharp and can cause serious injury. I apologize for bringing up the gory image, but remember when Clint Malarchuk's neck was accidentally sliced by a player's skate? He lost so much blood that doctors had to rush him to hospital to save his life. Much like with their sticks, players simply must be more responsible with their skates. There's no excuse for misusing them. Especially on purpose.

Hockey Country and Sisu Hockey also weigh in on the Havlat suspension.
posted by J.J. Guerrero, 11:05 PM

2 Comments:

At October 19, 2005 10:26 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Yeah I remember seeing the Malarchuk injury when I was a kid and just about throwing up at the sight of the blood. I have never seen any real life injury so gory and I really felt like the guy was going to die. It's amazing he survived and then continued playing.

 
At October 20, 2005 7:30 AM, Blogger J.J. Guerrero said...

And he only missed like a couple of weeks or something, eh? Amazing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home