-->
CANUCKS HOCKEY BLOG

Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Don't Ask For The Schwag

It usually takes one loss for fickle Canucks fans to demand wholesale changes to the team. Imagine what it was like today after two back-to-back losses to St. Louis and Columbus. The poor folks at MOJO 730 had to deal with rant after rant after rant so I thought I'd lend them a hand.

(Disclaimer: Some calls may have been paraphrased.)
Caller: I think it's about time Naslund stopped letting others take care of things for him. Foote runs him over, send him a message. He has to be tougher. Drop the gloves.
Because that's exactly what we want our $6 million per season leading scorer to do. To drop the gloves. In Markus' defense, he gave Foote a couple of whacks back with his stick. I just wish he didn't forget that the play was still going on.

Caller: The Canucks will never win a Stanley Cup with Naslund as captain! Teams don't win the Cup with European captains! They should get rid of him! As long as Naslund is captain, the Canucks will never win the Cup! (Note exclamation points.)
Hard to argue seeing that, based on history, no team with a European captain has ever won the Cup. So why don't we give Trevor back the 'C' and hope we meet the Senators in the finals. If you think that's what it takes...
Caller: I've supported Todd Bertuzzi in the past. I've called in and defended him and bashed the Bertuzzi bashers. But after the seeing that lazy play on Letowski (on the winning goal), consider me a Bertuzzi basher. I'm tired of his act. Tired of it.
Supported him through the Moore thing, through the "does he or doesn't he want to stay in Vancouver" thing and through the slow start to the season, then you jump off his bandwagon because of that??? Sure it was a lazy play and perhaps there's no excuse for getting deked out by Trevor freakin' Letowski, but bail on him because of that?

Bert's game has been getting better as the season has gone on. And when he sets his mind to it, no one can stop him. We just wish he plays like that every single game.
Caller: The Canucks won a bunch of games when Jovanovski was injured. Other guys stepped it up. I think this proves that they don't miss him. Can they trade Jovo for a goalie?
Sure, and the Canucks can enter the playoffs with Bryan Allen as the number three defenseman, and four guys who played in the AHL last season - Steve McCarthy, Nolan Baumgartner, Kevin Bieksa and Wade Brookbank - rotating in the no. 4, 5 and 6 spots.
Caller: Who do you think was better, Gretzky or Lemieux?
I don't understand the fascination with this question. To me, it's like asking to choose between Rachel McAdams and Keira Knightley.



How do you choose between the two?

______________
Comments/Questions: Feel free to post in the comments section or email me at gocanucksgo10 (at) hotmail (dot) com.

Technorati Tags: , , , , ,
posted by J.J. Guerrero, 9:35 PM

3 Comments:

At January 26, 2006 9:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rachel, no question about it.

 
At January 26, 2006 12:55 PM, Blogger Terry said...

One vote for Keira. It is no contest.

An additonal vote to have Bert sit out a game. No idea who I'd put in and expect better - but I expect better of Bert. You are 1/2 right JJ. He played bad, he got better until he made the Olympic team and now he is bad again.

As for Nassy's grit. Ponder this one. Naslund vs Foote or Iginla vs Ohlund. I've got no problem seeing my $6 mil guy in the box if in doing so he takes the opponents top defence man with him, shows the opponent where the buck stops and most important leads his own team by example. One final vote for Naslund starts to stand up for himself. Great captains do.

 
At January 26, 2006 8:38 PM, Blogger J.J. Guerrero said...

Hmmm... Rachel vs. Keira, tied at one. If I knew how to create an online poll, I'd do it. Should be interesting.

There's a big difference between Iginla and Naslund. Iginla is one of the best power forwards in the league and can definitely hold his own. As much as I respect Naslund's game, I don't see him winning a battle with an Adam Foote. It would have been commendable for him to drop the gloves, but I don't believe it's worth the risk of him getting pounded.

As an aside, I'm glad Bertuzzi stepped in. Foote/Bertuzzi is more of an even match and I love teammates sticking up for their own.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home