-->
CANUCKS HOCKEY BLOG

Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Mario Calls It A Career


I felt bad for asking this on Saturday; today I got my answer. Super Mario is indeed calling it a career.

''The time is right because I can no longer play the game at the level I'm accustomed to,'' Lemieux said in making the announcement. ''I think the best decision is to retire as a player and turn the game over to the younger guys who are the future of this team and this league. It's a young man's game now.''

''If I could still play this game I would be on the ice,'' Lemieux said at a news conference.
The tributes started pouring in almost as soon as his press conference was announced. Kukla's Corner has put together a nice compilation of thoughts and reactions from the rest of the hockey world.

I know I'm a stats and numbers guy, but one of my favorites comes from Phil Coffey:

As it stands now, the trophy case is mind-boggling. Two Stanley Cups. Two Conn Smythe Trophies as postseason MVP. The Art Ross Trophy as the regular season's leading scorer came to Lemieux six times. The Hart Trophy as the MVP of the regular season was Lemieux's three times and he also won the Calder Trophy as the NHL's top rookie.

But I think Lemieux's career is one of moments rather than reciting statistics and trophies. Think about it for a second. If you conjure up some of the great hockey moments in the last 20 years chances are Lemieux is right in the middle of them.
Thanks, Mario, for the many memories.

______________
Comments/Questions: Feel free to post in the comments section or email me at gocanucksgo10 (at) hotmail (dot) com.

Technorati Tags: , , ,
posted by J.J. Guerrero, 6:51 AM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home