-->
CANUCKS HOCKEY BLOG

Monday, September 11, 2006

Updated Canucks Cap Total

Here's an updated look at the Vancouver Canucks' salary cap situation:


With Linden's re-signing today, the team now has ten forwards on one-way contracts. If or when Ryan Kesler signs, the training camp battle will essentially come down to be for the 12th and 13th forward spots. And just to make it more interesting for the Jesse Schultz's and Rick Rypiens out there, Nonis mentioned (on Sportsnet Pacific) that he expects Josh Green to be re-signed by the first or second day of training camp.

Also of note is that the Canucks currently have eight defensemen on contract. Personally, I can't see them carrying that many defensemen all season. Someone's going to the Moose or (Cool Hand Luc) Bourdon's going back to the Q.

______________
Comments/Questions: Feel free to post in the comments section or email me at gocanucksgo10 (at) hotmail (dot) com.

Technorati Tags: , , ,
posted by J.J. Guerrero, 10:07 PM

5 Comments:

At September 12, 2006 12:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope that Bourdon is ready this year. I've never watched him play before. But I also hope that Bieksa stays as well, as he impressed me last season. Basically I like the top 6 D that you have listed in order of dollars on your diagram!
What are your thoughts on how Linden will perform this season. 20 goals?

 
At September 12, 2006 6:59 AM, Blogger J.J. Guerrero said...

I'm honestly torn about Bourdon and if I want him to play in the NHL this season. With his size, speed and skill, it's very tempting to throw him out there and hope he makes out like Dion Phaneuf.

What I'm worried about is that the kid's only 19-years old and will still makes some mistakes. It may actually be beneficial for him to either return to junior or play a year in the AHL. (That said, unless he royally screws up in main camp, I think Nonis and co. have already slotted him on this team.)

Bieksa will be on this team, essentially replacing Allen's role as a third pairing defenseman. As long as he doesn't regress, he'll be fine.

Even if Bourdon doesn't make this team, I don't think the 'd' looks that bad. Especially with Luongo in goal.

Ohlund-Salo
Krajicek-Mitchell
Bieksa-Fitzpatrick/Tremblay/Ryan

As for Linden, I think it's a tall task to expect him to score 20 goals, especially in a predominantly 3rd or 4th line role. Considering that and considering his salary, I'd be happy if he scores 10-15. Actually, I'd be happy if he just scores his 300th career goal (his next goal).

 
At September 12, 2006 1:21 PM, Blogger Miss 604 said...

TSN is saying Flyers have signed Kesler for 1.9 mil!
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=177269&hubname=

 
At September 12, 2006 11:22 PM, Blogger Loxy said...

I came by to see your thoughts on the Kesler thing too. If Vancouver matches (which seems to be the rumour), what does that leave you guys with?

 
At September 12, 2006 11:58 PM, Blogger J.J. Guerrero said...

haha! I started a post earlier but I re-read it and it looked something like this "$#%&*& Bobby *$#^#@ Clarke".

I have something a bit more coherent now. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home