Thursday, June 14, 2007
Louie's and Alain's Big Night
I was lucky enough to attend the NHL Awards Show when it was held in Vancouver last year. It was a nice treat and I got to rub elbows with Cam Ward, Eric Staal, Dion Phaneuf and Ron McLean. This year's show is in Toronto so I obviously won't be there, but with Roberto Luongo nominated for the Hart, Pearson and Vezina trophies and Alain Vigneault nominated for the Jack Adams, it should be just as interesting.
With Louie and Alain leading the Canucks this season to all sorts of franchise records, an unexpected division title and a trip to the second round of the playoffs, there's no reason to believe they can't win one of these awards. It's been four years since a Vancouver Canuck has won a major award (Markus Naslund won the Pearson in 2003) and it would be a nice tribute to them if they do win one. They certainly deserve it.
Some local press coverage on the Awards Show:
- Luongo gets another crack at victory tonight. (Jason Botchford, Vancouver Province)
- Cup roundup: Who's up and who should win. (Jason Botchford, Vancouver Province)
- Canucks award drought tipped to continue. (Elliott Pap, Vancouver Sun)
- No resting on his laurels. (Elliott Pap, Vancouver Sun)
- Coach Vigneault makes second trip to the trophy celebration a familial affair. (Grant Kerr, Globe and Mail)
Comments/Questions: Feel free to post in the comments section or email me at gocanucksgo10 (at) hotmail (dot) com.
Technorati Tags: NHL, hockey, Vancouver, Canucks, Roberto+Luongo, Alain+Vigneault