-->
CANUCKS HOCKEY BLOG

Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Game Day Post: Canucks at Blackhawks

Hopefully, the Canucks found their legs somewhere between Minnesota and Chicago. The team, pretty much a no-show on Sunday, gets back at it tonight against the Blackhawks.

The Blackhawks are still pissed off. First, the Canucks shut them out a week and a half ago - the first of Roberto Luongo's three straight shutouts - but also, they're still pissed off at Matt Cooke's hit on James Wisniewski (Brad Ziemer, Vancouver Sun):
"The puck was spinning, I went to pick it up, it went in my feet and I looked down and I was close to the boards and I chipped it out and never saw him," he said. "I just remember hitting the glass.

"I think some people might have a little more respect when guys are in vulnerable spots ... My back was turned a little bit, I was close to the glass, he could have eased up a little bit. I don't know if there's any reason to try and hurt guys."
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember seeing that hit and thinking it was a good one. I remember Wisniewski getting hurt but I don't remember it being a hit from behind. As far I saw, he had the puck by the boards and Cookie got him with a shoulder.

Wisniewski insists he won't be running around looking for revenge (Len Ziehm, Chicago Sun-Times):
"I'm not looking to do anything, but I'm not going to pass up on a hit,'' he said after practice Tuesday. ''I might have a clean hit and do what I'd do to any other guy -- but I might put a little more effort into it.''
Cookie might want to keep his head up.

By the way, have you seen the standings going into tonight's game? Not only are the Blackhawks tied with the Canucks with identical 14-10-2 records and 30 points, but also, statistically, they're so much better than they were last year:

  • Goals scored this season: 2.96 per game (8th in NHL); last season: 2.38 (29th)
  • Goals against this season: 2.73 per game (14th); last season: 3.06 (23rd)
  • Powerplay percentage: 19.8% (9th); last season: 11.8% (30th)
  • Penalty-killing percentage: 84.2% (11th); last season: 82.6% (15th)
And that's without having Marty Havlat in the lineup for most of the season. He was injured but came back last week.

The Canucks are 14-2-1 against the Blackhawks since 2002. They've only lost once to them since the lockout season but you gotta think it's getting harder for them to get those W's.

More previews from the MSM:


______________
Comments/Questions: Feel free to post in the comments section or email me at gocanucksgo10 (at) hotmail (dot) com.

Technorati Tags: , , ,

Labels: , ,

posted by J.J. Guerrero, 5:54 AM

2 Comments:

At December 05, 2007 9:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the Canucks are in fine shape, if only because Louie's finally showing that demigod quality of his again!

As for les Blackhawks, they deserve a standing ovation for their building strategy. Finally one of the Original Six understands what it means to draft well and rebuild! Montreal, Toronto, Boston, and New York all try to avoid it as much as possible because they have winning-obsessed fans, whilst the Red Wings don't seem to need to rebuild ever, and they deserve applause for that, too!

Whether Chicago ends their Cup drought in the near future or not, we'll see. But they're certainly showing they've got some management savvy!!

 
At December 06, 2007 7:01 AM, Blogger Predjoe said...

The Canucks are playing some great hockey as are the Preds. Will Luongo get the start again tonight? I'd be just fine if they gave him the night off!

Good win up in Chicago last night. They are a tough team to play against and can pretty explosive offensively. If their goaltending could be a bit more consistent this team could be dangerous.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home