-->
CANUCKS HOCKEY BLOG

Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Hughson Leaving Sportsnet

It's official. Jim Hughson is leaving Sportsnet after this season (Cam Cole, Vancouver Sun).

Tough job: Replacing Bob Cole. Tougher job: Replacing Jim Hughson.

Stepping into the shoes of one of our nation's iconic voices on the oldest sports television program still on the air, Hockey Night in Canada -- a process that will begin for Hughson once his exclusive six-year contract with the CBC kicks in after this season -- is no small task.
No, it's not.

Hughson, simply, is one of the best. Canucks fans know it. Most others acknowledge it. Like any good NHL GM would, CBC pounced on an opportunity to sign him to a good, long-term free agent contract.

Good for him. Not so much for Canucks fans. He's been a voice for Canucks games since 1994. He also filled in for the legendary Jim Robson in the early '80's (wiki). Needless to say, we've gotten accustomed to his play-by-play calls, his delivery and his put-downs of John Garrett. If there's any bit of good news for us, it's that Hughson has mentioned that he will still be doing a few of the Canucks' HNIC games.

Whoever replaces Hughson will have big shoes to fill. TEAM 1040's running a poll right now as to who it should be. Their choices are:

  • John Shorthouse
  • Don Taylor
  • Kevin Quinn
  • Peter Loubardias
  • Dave Randorf.
In other polls, I've seen Joey Kenward (Vancouver Giants) and Dan Russell (CKNW) mentioned as well.

I'd love to see Shorty and Randorf get a chance, though getting Shorty on Sportsnet would mean having to replace him AND Larscheid on the radio side. I heard Kevin Quinn a couple of weeks ago and he was okay. I don't like the way Loubardias calls a goal and I don't know much about Joey Kenward. And Dan Russell... well, let me put it this way... the day he calls a Canucks game on Sportsnet is the day I watch a Canucks game on mute.

What do you guys think?

______________
Comments/Questions: Feel free to post in the comments section or email me at gocanucksgo10 (at) hotmail (dot) com.

Technorati Tags: , , ,

Labels: ,

posted by J.J. Guerrero, 6:54 AM

8 Comments:

At March 12, 2008 8:50 AM, Blogger Michael and Sharlene McDonald said...

I tell ya, if Dave Randorf gets the call, I'll stop watching. I have absolutely no feelings one way or the other about any other sportscaster- most are professional and doing a good job- very few are exceptional- but this guy Randorf? I turn off the TV whenever he's on and I know I'm not the only one- the guy can singlehandedly drop a broadcasts ratings just by opening his mouth.

 
At March 12, 2008 11:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd like to see Jeff Paterson get a shot. Tonnes of play-by-play experience with the Kamloops Blazers.

 
At March 12, 2008 11:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Haha, looks like we drank the same cup of inspiration this morning!

 
At March 12, 2008 3:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's funny how there is such a lack of decent play-by-play men available. You would think that there would be a few more given how hockey-crazy this country is.

 
At March 12, 2008 5:13 PM, Blogger J.J. Guerrero said...

michael - I don't mind Randorf, though to be honest, I missed his Canucks PBP-calling days and only catch the odd game he does on TSN.

anon 1 - Jeff Patterson is actually someone I haven't thought of and haven't heard his Kamloops Blazers stuff. Hmmm...

vv - Great minds do think alike!

anon 2 - I'm surprised as well. But maybe it's just because Bob Cole, Gord Miller, Hughson and all those guys have been around for a while. Maybe now, we'll start seeing (or hearing) more from the others.

 
At March 13, 2008 6:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I didn't even think to consider Patterson, either. But, now that I do think of it, he could be a very good option. He has an excellent radio voice, is knowledgeable about the game, and certainly has the experience.

 
At March 13, 2008 9:14 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I've had the chance to work with Kenward doing the setup for Giants games, not to mention watching the games while listening to him and sitting directly to his right in the press row of Pacific Coliseum. Extreme pleasure to work with, not to mention an amazing talent for the amount of work he puts into his broadcasts. Keep in mind that the guy has experience with big games when the Giants won the memorial cup.

Plus I think he's an island boy, so there's a nice tie in with B.C. My money's on him, but I could be biased. :)

 
At March 13, 2008 12:29 PM, Blogger Sean Zandberg said...

I'd say Shorty should get it. But if not him, then none of the above. We should steal Rick Jeannerette from the Sabres. "Scoooooooooooooooooores! The population of Keslerville has just gone up by one!"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home