-->
CANUCKS HOCKEY BLOG

Monday, April 07, 2008

A Special Player, A Special Night

"When I took the warmup and saw how many people were down in our end, I kind of had that feeling. As the game went on, it was quite overwhelming. You think of all the tremendous athletes that have played their respective sports, for me to receive that response is incredible. It's very special."

- via Jim Jamieson (Vancouver Province)

Forget the fact that the Canucks ended the season with a 7-1 blowout loss to the Flames. Forget that, in the last two weeks, they lost seven of their last eight games when all they needed was three more points to make the playoffs. On Saturday night, those were irrelevant. Some people said Saturday was a mean-nothing game. This may have been true standings-wise, but for the fans, this game meant a lot of things.

For me - and obviously a lot of Canucks fans - it meant a chance to say thank you and farewell to Trevor Linden, and even, Markus Naslund and Brendan Morrison. Though with all due respect to Naslund and Morrison, the night was undoubtedly about Trevor.

It definitely was a special night. The fans gave Trevor many standing ovations: one when he started the game with Kesler and Naslund and again; another when he started the third period; another during his final shift with a minute left in the game; another after the game was over and his teammates congratulated him; another as the Flames, one by one, came back on the ice and shook his hand (pure class by Jarome Iginla, Robin Regehr and the rest of the Flames); another as CBC, ceremoniously, named him the game's first star and he skated around the rink; and yet another when he gave the jersey off his back to a lucky fan.

In case you missed it, here is the video of his final skate around GM Place:



As long as I've followed the Canucks, and with the exception of those dark years in the late '90s, Trevor has been part of this team. Like every other Canucks fan, a lot of my memories of the team includes him. He was the captain the first time I ever watched a Canucks game on TV. He scored the OT game-winner the second game I ever saw live (1994, game 6 vs. Calgary). I remember the '94 run, the 1998 Olympics, his hit on Jeff Norton, game 7 vs. St. Louis and game 7 vs. Dallas. There are many more, of course. While I agree that it's time for Trevor to walk away, at the same time it's hard to envision a Canucks game without number 16.

His on-ice accomplishments were only a small part of what he's meant to this team and this community. He's always made himself available to many charities. He's a fixture at Canucks Place and BC Children's Hospital. He's a spokesperson for the Canadian Cancer Society. We don't usually hear about these instances, but that's because he never draws any attention to them. The NHL noticed and awarded him the King Clancy Memorial Trophy in 1997. So did the Government of BC which awarded him the Order of British Columbia in 2003.

"You know, sometimes I ask myself that because I'm overwhelmed. I'm flattered. I feel extremely fortunate, blessed, the way things have gone. But I have to be honest with you: I ask myself that, too. Sometimes I almost feel kind of like: Who deserves this? I can't begin to say the effect it had on me. I'm a guy from Medicine Hat who played a game he loved, and to get that kind of response was really amazing."

- via Iain MacIntyre (Vancouver Sun)

Trevor's response to Saturday's events is all you need to know about his character. He is a celebrity and a hero in this province, yet always humble. He is a tireless warrior, but respected even by his biggest opponents. He is a fierce leader and role model to every player that's ever donned the Canucks jersey not named Messier. In other words, he's embodied everything we've ever wanted a Canuck to be.

Trevor said he's fortunate and blessed and that's true. But so were we, Canucks fans, to have been witness to his career.

More tributes for Trevor from John Bollwitt, Joe Pelletier, Jes Golbez and Mike the Yankee Canuck.

______________
Comments/Questions: Feel free to post in the comments section or email me at gocanucksgo10 (at) hotmail (dot) com.

Technorati Tags: , , ,

Labels:

posted by J.J. Guerrero, 7:25 PM

8 Comments:

At April 08, 2008 3:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't have the tight connection to Trevor that many Vancouverites do...but, I do connect with the guy. It all started for me back in 94 and watching him guide that team through the playoffs...and his incredible play against NYR.

I've tried to spread the Trevor love in my office here in Chiner...but most of the other expats are Americans stuck on hoops or football and really don't know hockey. Initially, the only know Linden from the back of the sweater I brought back from Vancouver this year. Then, when I showed them the video of the crowds sending off...they sort of began to see how important this guy was to the Canucks.

It's been hard to put a finger on it...but between yours and John's posts...I can feel as though it's all been said.

 
At April 26, 2008 9:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where ya been, JJ? Plenty of interesting developments around Canuckland lately. Are you in a deep depression over Nonis' firing? I know I'm not happy...

 
At May 27, 2008 12:59 PM, Blogger Johan said...

We're experiencing withdrawal symptoms! Write something! Quick!

 
At May 29, 2008 9:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

it's nostalgic to see trevor around and to watch him play, but i don't think he can get it done anymore. http://mmafight.ca he'd make a great ambassador for the canucks though.

 
At August 02, 2008 1:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good Job! :)

 
At September 12, 2008 7:45 AM, Blogger Aries1994 said...

I watched that last game against Calgary on CBC. I didn't know it would be Trevor's last game. As I watched, and saw the Calgary Flames come out and shake his hand, and Trevor's teammates on the ice, saluting him, his mother and father in the crowd, I knew this was the last time we would see him on the ice. I sat and cried as he skated around the rink. I can't believe that it's over. I have watched him since 1994. Naslund wore the "C" but Trevor was the "C". I like alot of people who have followed him love him for who he is, for what he did in 1994, for who he became, and for who he will always be to us. I love you Trevor Linden and I thank you for all you have done.
Jessie.

 
At March 08, 2010 1:45 AM, Blogger vuong said...

先物 比較
先物 比較
先物 比較
先物 比較
先物 比較
先物 比較
先物 比較
先物 比較
先物 比較
事業再生
経営計画書
経営改革
経営改善
会社分割
経営コンサルティング
婚活 名古屋
婚活 名古屋
婚活 名古屋
婚活 名古屋
婚活 名古屋
婚活 名古屋
婚活 名古屋
婚活 名古屋
婚活 名古屋
婚活 名古屋
浮気調査 松戸
浮気調査 船橋
備考調査 追跡調査 東京
不倫調査 離婚調査 東京
浮気調査 素行調査 東京 
ストーカー相談 ストーカー対策 東京
結婚調査 結婚詐欺 東京
信用調査 企業調査 東京
調査料金 東京
身上調査 身元調査 身辺調査 東京
所在調査 東京
夫 妻 浮気 東京

 
At April 21, 2020 9:14 PM, Blogger yanmaneee said...

longchamp handbags
supreme clothing
adidas ultra
goyard handbags
hermes belt
timberland boots
yeezys
nike air max 270
air max 2018
nike shox

 

Post a Comment

<< Home