-->
CANUCKS HOCKEY BLOG

Friday, January 13, 2006

Canucks Hockey Mailbag

JJ, I like your blog... keep it up!!! You don't like some of the Canucks players right now. What do you do to make them better??

Alan (from Richmond)

Thanks Alan. By your question, I'm assuming you're referring to my feeling that something is wrong with the current mix of players and what changes I would make.

I know there are a few people out there who want to gut this current roster; I'm not one of them. Besides finding another goalie who can play (read: not Maxime Ouellete), I think the Canucks are only a couple of subtle moves away from being able to compete in the playoffs:

They need to acquire another crease-clearing defenseman. Say what you will about Ed Jovanovski and his high-risk plays, but the Canucks are also noticeably more aggressive when he is playing. Ditto with Bryan Allen, whom, as it stands, is the team's only stay-at-home defenseman. Kevin Bieksa has added a good physical element to the defense, but I'm reserving judgement on him until after he's played a few more games.

I don't think the Canucks expected Nolan Baumgartner to make the team out of training camp or Kevin Bieksa to be sidelined for at the start of the season, otherwise I don't think they would have signed Steve McCarthy. Again, it's too many of the same type of player. Hindsight being 20/20, I would have tried for a Brendan Witt-type of player.

The only other moves I would make are to add a veteran leader to the room, basically someone who can fill the Brad May/Mike Keane/Marc Bergevin role from last season, and another center to allow Linden to play more on the wing.

Bertuzzi sucks!!!!! The Canucks should trade him for Luongo!!!!!

Troy H

If Bertuzzi sucks, how can we expect to get Luongo in return?

Hi JJ,

I agree with what you say... The Canucks are built to win now. What do you think about trading Luc Bourdon to get a goalie or a proven defenseman for the playoffs?

Michael, Abbotsford

No. Much like Calgary won't part with Dion Phaneuf even if it gets them a first-line center. These guys are stud defensemen that don't come around too often. They will play for 10-15 years in the NHL and you don't trade them for someone who might play on your team for a month, possibly two.

______________
Comments/Questions: Feel free to post in the comments section or email me at gocanucksgo10 (at) hotmail (dot) com.

Technorati Tags: , , ,
posted by J.J. Guerrero, 6:32 AM

1 Comments:

At January 15, 2006 6:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So Luc Bourdon is the next Dion Phaneuf eh? Please tell me that is some kind of inside joke, because there is no way you are being serious.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home