Thursday, September 20, 2007
Preseason: Flames 0 Canucks 4
I wasn't surprised that last night's 4-0 win versus the Calgary Flames was as chippy as it was (Jason Botchford, Vancouver Province). After all, we hate these guys almost as much as we hate the Leafs.
"It was crazy, I guess it's going to be a fun series against them this year," Jeff Cowan said. "It was intense right from the start to the end.What surprised me though was the collective play of the younger guys. Maybe it shouldn't have because of the praise we've been hearing about this group especially during training camp, but against a Flames team that iced a fairly veteran lineup, they certainly stepped it up a notch.
"Their style of play is real dirty and grinding and with Keenan there it's only going to get worse."
Michael Grabner, often-criticized for his soft play, didn't seem to mind going into the tough areas and scored a goal and an assist. Jason Jaffray scored a beauty when he knocked down a Grabner shot and then fired it into the net. Ryan Shannon was good again and scored a goal skating down the wing - more on Shannon later today. Alex Edler, Nathan McIver, Corey Schneider - all stood out in a tough game, albeit in the preseason, against a tough team.
More of today's links, including a chat with Mike Keenan and more rave reviews for the younger Canucks:
- Wannabe winners. (Brad Ziemer, Vancouver Sun)
- Schneider makes the perfect start. (Elliott Pap, Vancouver Sun)
- Iron Mike's mettle tested. (Iain MacIntyre, Vancouver Sun)
- Keenan a favourite in Vancouver - thanks to Luongo. (Scott Cruickshank, Calgary Herald)
- Tense times again for Luongo, Keenan. (Grant Kerr, Globe and Mail)
- Learning to love that new uniform. (Tom Mayenknecht, Vancouver Sun)
(Photo credit: canucks.com)
Comments/Questions: Feel free to post in the comments section or email me at gocanucksgo10 (at) hotmail (dot) com.
Technorati Tags: NHL, hockey, Vancouver, Canucks, Calgary+Flames