Tuesday, December 18, 2007
Game Day Post: Devils at Canucks
Marty vs. Louie.
The battle between two possible goalies for Team Canada in the 2010 Olympics goes tonight as the New Jersey Devils pay a rare visit to GM Place.
On the one hand, I'm excited to see this match-up. I'm also very excited to watch Zach Parise play. (This kid's a keeper.)
On the other hand, I, unfortunately, still have memories of the last time I saw the Devils play at GM Place. I was still working there and was working a center ice tunnel when the Devils held the Canucks to eight shots on goal... for the entire game. I remember the Canucks tied a club record with 0 shots on goal during one period as well. It was riveting hockey, I tell ya.
Besides the interest behind the Marty vs. Louie subplot, I'm not sure what to expect from this game. Neither team plays the trap necessarily, but both certainly play a defense-first system. Both are in the top half of the league in shots against - that is, they allow fewer shots against than half the league - and in the bottom half in shots for. Not surprisingly, both teams are in the top half of the league in goals against and in the bottom half for goals for.
Are we in for a titanic defensive battle? Perhaps. And it won't hurt to have a large pot of caffeine handy.
More from today's MSM:
- Getting better all the time (Ben Kuzma, Vancouver Province)
- Top two goalies know how to read the play (Ben Kuzma, Vancouver Province)
- Nothing else matters but winning to these boring Devils (David Pratt, Vancouver Province)
- Salo uncaged and ready to unleash (Jim Jamieson, Vancouver Province)
- Morrison casts himself disappointed (Jim Jamieson, Vancouver Province)
- Mr. Big Shot firing blanks (Brad Ziemer, Vancouver Sun)
- Morrison aiming to be back a few weeks before playoffs (Brad Ziemer, Vancouver Sun)
- Devils' Pelley returns to play in his home province (Tom Gulitti, northjersey.com)
Comments/Questions: Feel free to post in the comments section or email me at gocanucksgo10 (at) hotmail (dot) com.
Technorati Tags: NHL, hockey, Vancouver, Canucks